ellin, who was also involved in five total tackles in the

in Fragen 12.06.2019 04:40
von dasg234 • 2.926 Beiträge

In the space of 30 short minutes, Team GB stormed to two gold medals in the womens pair and mens four at Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas. It was a breath-taking performance from the two crews, built on power and sheer bloody-mindedness but also emotion, family, trust and fear.First up in the double gold run were Helen Glover and Heather Stanning who stormed home in the womens pair. It was their 39th consecutive win and it secured their place in history: they are the first female British rowers to retain their Olympic crown after their triumph at London 2012.But their focus speaking moments after their race was not on their personal journeys to Olympic gold, their place in history but instead, it was on the role their coach Robin Williams played in getting them to gold after he was diagnosed and then recovered from cancer a little over two and a half years ago.He [Williams] was quite chatty before the race, quite nervous and he was using a lot of words, Glover said. He is so passionate, he has done everything from todays chat to when he was dangerously ill and having to take time off work.He was still there for us to being away from his family for months on end, its just all him, we couldnt have done it without him.Stanning added: Without Robin wed be nobodies, hes the best coach in the world.Williams, 59, was diagnosed with bladder cancer in December 2013 and a month on he was undergoing life-saving surgery. By May 2014 he was given the all-clear but in those dark, life-threatening days of December and January, his message to the duo was succinct: carry on, email me your times.I needed to get paid so I had to get better quickly, Williams said. It was an incentive. I was in hospital and I was walking around the ward - 20 ft, 30 ft, 50 ft at a time when they were saying a few steps is enough.Thats how it starts off and I now go running and biking. Rowing in itself is a journey but that makes it a bit bigger.Now standing alongside Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas minutes after Glover and Stanning had won gold, his face told the story of the emotional journey he had been through as he reflected on the key role the womens pair played in his recovery.They were a big, big part of my fight back, Williams said. I felt there was a lot to achieve still with them. I didnt lack drive to get better but it was an extra incentive.They were fantastic that year and now that I think we have got to Rio 2016 and won I feel we have completely written the last chapter of the book with the best ending possible for all of us.Whatever happens next we can hold this moment as a nugget in our memories and be proud and thrilled forever.As he spoke, the national anthem was being played as the mens fours picked up their gold; there was a wonderful synergy between the two triumphs. Their victory here in Brazil stretches the run for the mens fours to five straight golds from Sydney 2000 to now.Their individual motivation was divided between their friends and familys roles in getting them to the top of the podium but also the fear of failure, with the weight of history sitting heavy on their shoulders.George Nash, who won bronze in 2012, woke up in a cold sweat. This morning I thought I was definitely going to cock this up, he said. This feels like a gamble thats not going to go my way.Everythings just felt a little bit off and this morning I thought if the Aussies are on, and were not, were going to get turned over. That put the fear of God into me. And when we crossed the line thought wow, it has gone our way.The same went for Alex Gregory, who missed the births of two of his three children to pursue his charge to double Olympic gold following on from his 2012 success in the fours. Today I was looking at the guys on the launches on the lake, thinking: You dont know what I am feeling now. Youre just sat there bobbing around on the lake. I wish I could swap with you.I did feel pressure of history. I didnt want to let this record go. I didnt want to have to look [Sir Steve] Redgrave or [Sir Matthew] Pinsent in the eye. I didnt want to have to listen to the commentary of Garry Herbert [gold-medal winning cox from 1992] and James Cracknell.Their voices were going through my mind during the warm up: Oh my goodness, the British arent going to do it. You have to snap out of it as soon as those thoughts creep in. But it was always there. It was definitely there and it was a worry.Theyre horrible feelings. I dont enjoy those feelings; its not why I do sport. Its not for that adrenaline rush before the start; its a numb, horrible, painful feeling.But then came the relief. His family back home in Oxfordshire would have been fresh in his thoughts with Jesse -- he was on a rowing machine in South Africa when he was being born --Daisy, who arrived when he was competing in the world championships in South Korea, Jasper and his partner Emily watching on.Gregorys teammate Moe Sbihi also had family at the forefront of his mind and his voice cracked with emotion as he spoke. My main aim is to make my parents proud, he said. And thats it. I was picked to do this sport and Im really lucky but its just to make them proud.Then there was the yearly commitment of fasting through Ramadan while continuing his training. I relish it, Sbihi said. When I have to make up my fast in the winter its tough training but I get through it.I push myself to the limits with these boys but Im doing it without food and drink. I really like it -- its an unrivalled feeling. It challenges me and makes me mentally stronger.The approaches varied. Sbihi embraced the motivation of making his parents proud while Constantine Louloudis, who is said to be the pace setter in the group, tried to block out external factors, wary of being overloaded.Theres no lack of motivation, Louloudis said. In the run into the final I was trying to put things out rather than recall things as if you try and recall every bit of motivation, youre going to overload your mind with it. So Im not even thinking about my family here, my friends watching it, our coach -- Im not thinking about that. Now I can reflect on that with the gold but I had to focus on this.Moe, who makes our calls, said in the warm up: six minutes of pain for a lifetime of joy and make sure its not the other way round. And thats kind of it.And then as they crossed the finishing line, the fear disappeared to be replaced by relief and ecstasy.For Glover, Stanning, Louloudis, Gregory, Nash and Sbihi -- they have gone through the range of emotions to be here but as their loved ones, coaches and friends watched on from the stands, there was a moment of wonderful, serene calmness matched with sheer joy. The dark days, the self-doubt and sacrifices for all involved were momentarily forgotten and replaced by sheer fulfilment.You put yourself on the line and you feel the worlds closing in on you sometimes because youre going hell for leather and it just wont go away, Louloudis said. But you know if you weather that storm, youre going to have a lifetime of satisfaction. Custom Penguins T-shirts . LOUIS -- Alexander Steen scored a power-play goal with 59. Penguins Jerseys China .C. -- Charlotte Bobcats coach Steve Clifford said after all of these years in the NBA hes still amazed at some of the things LeBron James does. http://www.custompenguinsjersey.com/ . The team says the Spain international has a muscle pull in his right leg. Barcelona hosts third-division side Cartagena in the return leg of their round-of-32 tie after winning their first meeting 4-1. Paul Martin Jersey Large . However, he did make them miss him a little less. Cundiff, who had the unenviable job of replacing Dawson last season, agreed Thursday to a one-year, $1. Custom Paul Martin Jersey . -- Anaheim Ducks defenceman Luca Sbisa will be out at least six weeks with a torn tendon in his right hand. FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots needed a big play, and Tom Brady delivered -- again.Brady connected with Chris Hogan for a 79-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter to help the Patriots to a 30-23 win over the Baltimore Ravens on Monday night.Brady threw for 406 yards and three touchdowns, becoming the fourth NFL quarterback with at least 450 career touchdown passes. He also threw just his second interception of the season.LeGarrette Blount rushed for 72 yards on 18 carries, passing 1,000 yards for the first time since his rookie season with Tampa Bay in 2010.The Patriots (11-2) have won four straight games and eight of their last nine as they continue to inch toward their eighth straight AFC East title.It was a big game for us, Brady said. You play at home in December on Monday night against a great defense, it was important for us to come out and play well. We knew it was gonna be a 60-minute game.The Ravens (7-6) had won two in a row. They now face a challenging route to the playoffs with two of their last three on the road.Joe Flacco did his best to keep Baltimore in the game, finishing 37 of 52 for 324 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. The 37 completions set a franchise record.The Patriots led 23-3 before the Ravens turned back-to-back New England fumbles on special teams into touchdowns.New England still had a 23-17 lead in the fourth quarter when the Ravens drove to the Patriots 12 before Flacco was sacked by Rob Ninkovich, forcing Baltimore to settle for a field goal.The Ravens entered the week with the NFLs top-ranked defense, giving up just 296.1 yards per game. But the Patriots defense shined early on, limiting the Ravens to just three points and 142 yards in the first half.The Ravens rushed only four times for 7 yards in the opening 30 minutes, and were just 3 for 8 on third downs.FUMBLED AWAYThe Patriots appeared to be in control after Martellus Bennetts 19-yard touchdown reception made it 23-3 with 8:45 to play in the third. But Cyrus Jones couldnt get out of the way of Sam Kochs 53-yard punt. It brushed off his foot as it fell to the tuurf and was picked up by Chris Moore on New Englands 3.dddddddddddd The Ravens scored two plays later.The Patriots then gave Baltimore another gift on the ensuing kickoff when returner Matt Slater lost the ball after a hit by Patrick Onwuasor. Shareece Wright recovered for the Ravens, and Flacco threw an 8-yard touchdown pass to Kenneth Dixon.I think there were some plays I wish we all could have had back, Brady said. But theyre a competitive team. They force you into some errors. It was great to finish the game with the ball in our hands. We always love doing that.QUOTABLEIts something that we preach about, through the whole OTAs, camp, preseason and all that. We want to eliminate big plays. We had a bust, Ravens linebacker Zach Orr said of Bradys touchdown to Hogan. If you miss an assignment, Tom Brady and those guys will exploit that to the max.BLOCKEDPatriots linebacker Shea McClellin showed off his athleticism in the first quarter by hurdling the Ravens line and then blocking Justin Tuckers 34-yard field goal attempt. It was part of a big first half for McClellin, who was also involved in five total tackles in the opening 30 minutes.SCORING DEFENSENew Englands defense was the first unit to get on the scoreboard. After Ryan Allens punt was downed on the 1, Dixon was swarmed in the end zone and brought down by Malcolm Butler for a safety.It was the Patriots third safety of the season -- a franchise record. They also got one on Oct. 9 against Cleveland when Browns quarterback Cody Kessler fumbled the ball out of the end zone and the following week when Donta Hightower sacked Cincinnatis Andy Dalton in the end zone.INJURIESRavens: CB Jimmy Smith left in the first quarter with an ankle injury.UP NEXTRavens: Host the Eagles Sunday in their final home game of the regular season.Patriots: Play two of their final three on the road, beginning Sunday with a trip to Denver.---For more NFL coverage: http://www.pro32.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP-NFL ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: panozaapg
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 15367 Themen und 15530 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online: