the Pirates.- UCF coach Scott Frost. The former Oregon offens

in Fragen 20.09.2018 11:56
von dasg234 • 2.926 Beiträge

Theres something important you should know about our insane attempt to rank the top 100 baseball players of all time. This list was not assembled by mathematicians, statisticians, sabermetricians, academicians or even dieticians.No sir. This list was assembled by us. By actual human beings. By a bunch of people who love baseball. Who cover baseball. Who write and talk about baseball. And who are pretty sure that we know a little something about baseball (or at least we used to be pretty sure, until we read our Twitter replies).So as you rummage through these rankings, it wont take long before the truth hits you. Some of the players on this list are way, way, way too high. Or way, way, way too low.Lets face it. Ken Griffey Jr. was not the 14th-best player in history. Roberto Clemente was not the 18th-best. Johnny Bench was not the 29th-best. Mariano Rivera was not the 49th-best. They were great. They were cool. They were awesome to watch. But you know what else they clearly were, judging by these rankings? Overrated. By us, anyway.On the other hand, Im not sure how we can possibly explain why Honus Wagner, Cy Young and good old Roger Clemens didnt even make our top 10. Heck, Tris Speaker didnt even dent our top 40. Mel Ott didnt crack our top 50. Grover Cleveland Alexander wasnt even in our top 90.Wow. Thats pretty, pretty, pretty crazy when you step back and think about it. But maybe these men always wanted to be considered underrated some day. Well, congratulations to them. They finally made it.Then there is a third group of iconic players on this list, men who fascinate me by where they wound up in these rankings. Pedro Martinez at No. 11. Joe DiMaggio at No. 15. Sandy Koufax at No. 16. Jackie Robinson at No. 30. Hmmmmm. Are we sure about those numbers? Really sure? Boy, I dont know about that.Our hearts tell us: We love those guys. Whats the problem? Then we hear a voice speaking to us from the computer command center, which may or may not (we cant confirm) be located in Bill James attic. That voice is wondering what the heck got into us. That voice has checked the numbers, apparently. Now it wants some explanations.Somehow or other, we managed to rank Pedro as the second-greatest pitcher in the history of baseball, behind only Walter Johnson. And we ranked Koufax as the fourth-greatest (with Greg Maddux squeezing in between Pedro and Koufax). Wait. We did what?We ranked both of them ahead of Cy Young (No. 17), Christy Mathewson (No. 28), Clemens (No. 19), Bob Gibson (No. 20) and Tom Seaver (No. 34)? And we ranked them so far ahead of poor Grover Cleveland Alexander (No. 97), hed need to change elevators three times just to get to check in with the receptionist in their penthouse.So whats up with that? Um, let me tell you what I think was up with that.I believe theres a mysterious force that washes over us as we watch sports, and especially as we watch certain charismatic people who play those sports. Were so drawn to them when theyre at their greatest, were willing to pretend that thats what they always were. Forever and ever.I once wrote a book on the most overrated and underrated baseball players of all time (The Stark Truth, still available wherever books are sold online, by the way). So I devoted like 50,000 words of eloquent prose to this subject. It was a book that kept coming back to one overriding theme, about how perception and reality can be two very different things. And since it generated so much conversation (polite word of the day) when I used that theme to explain why I thought Koufax was (gasp) overrated, lets start with him.If we use wins above replacement to measure Koufaxs all-time greatness, baseball-reference.com tells us he was not quite the fourth-best starting pitcher in the history of the universe. He was, well, the 117th. But hey, hes ahead of Bartolo Colon (No. 129) anyway.Maybe thats unfair, though, since were talking about a man whose throbbing elbow forced him to retire at 30 years old. So any data based on longevity doesnt apply to the great Koufax, right? His awesomeness was defined by his best years, not his staying power.So instead, well use Jay Jaffes fantastic invention, JAWS, to measure Koufaxs standing among the legends. JAWS also factors in a players seven-year peak, which would seem to be right in Koufaxs wheelhouse. Naturally then, JAWS elevates Koufaxs standing considerably -- all the way up to (uh-oh) the 88th-greatest starter of all time. Behind the likes of Tim Hudson, Dave Stieb and Chuck Finley, but ahead of Mark Buehrle and Mark Langston at least.I could explain more about why that is, but whatever. This is all we really need to know about how perception and reality diverge when anyone mentions that magical name, Koufax.Theres a certain romance that wraps itself around someone like him. Someone who disappears into the shadows of time at not just the peak of his own greatness but a peak that eclipses almost any pitchers greatness.That peak really lasted only four spectacular years, which you maybe can stretch to six if youre the biggest Koufax fan in the universe and you want acknowledgement of the two B-plus seasons that led up to that peak. But if you want to reflect on the very nature of perception versus reality, reflect on that.All we have, in Koufaxs case, is this: He was great. No, he was the greatest. And then he was gone. Click. So the perception of the superhuman phase of his career blots out all the reality those numbers above reflect. In reality, Koufaxs period of greatness was way too brief to merit ranking where he ranks on this list. He rode the perception express to a place he honestly shouldnt reside. And thats OK. It tells us something.Its not exactly what it tells us about Pedro, but its similar, right? JAWS would say he was the 21st-best starter ever, not the second-best. But heres the deal. Every one of us who voted remembers Pedro Martinez when he was at the pinnacle of his inimitable Pedro-esque brilliance. Grover Cleveland Alexander? Apparently, were a little fuzzier in our memories of him.So it was our vivid recollection of that Pedro, the dude firing 17-strikeout one-hitters at Yankee Stadium, that drove us to pile on the votes that landed him at No. 11 overall on the top 100, and No. 2 among starting pitchers. And thats OK, too. We might not be able to justify it mathematically. But its a reflection of who we are, just as much as a reflection of the dominator he could be on any given trip to the mound.Then there is DiMaggio. When I was writing my book, I talked to people who were trying to convince me he was the most overrated center fielder who ever lived. You know what I told them? No, he wasnt. But Ive never stopped thinking about those debates. How could I?Joe DiMaggio played baseball at a time when very few people actually saw him play baseball. So there are really two versions of DiMaggios career. There is the actual version, where he shows up as the sixth-greatest center fielder of all time, according to both JAWS and WAR. Then there is the romanticized version, where it feels as if hes hitting in 56 straight every season, in between dates with Marilyn Monroe.Should we have ranked the actual DiMaggio at No. 15, ahead of Rogers Hornsby, ahead of Frank Robinson, ahead of Mike Schmidt and Jimmie Foxx? Of course not. The actual Joe D should have shown up at No. 68, according to wins above replacement. Apparently, were romantics here at #MLBRank headquarters. Who knew?Finally, theres Jackie. In one corner of my brain, I cheered when I saw Jackie Robinson at No. 30 on this list. Its a reflection not only of the player he was but also the man he was. And the history-altering figure he was. We should never forget he was all of that and more.In the other corner of my brain, where the baseball historian in me still needs to be heard, I had to admit I asked myself: Isnt No. 30 kind of high? Truthful answer: Yeah, it is.We were instructed as voters to factor in players Negro League accomplishments. But remember, Robinson played only one season in the Negro Leagues, followed by 10 seasons in the big leagues. He was an amazing player. Rookie of the Year. MVP. Two stolen-base titles -- including one in a season in which he also won a batting title and slugged .528. But he was not the 30th-best baseball player of all time.WAR ranks him as the 165th-best. As voters, we ignored that. We rewarded him for being one of the five most important baseball players of all time. No one told us we couldnt. Hey, its our list. So we get to place him anywhere we like.As with all rankings -- whether its the greatest baseball players of all time or the greatest ice-cream flavors of all time -- certain things dont always apply. Science. Math. Facts. Reason. Reality. All optional.Perception? Emotion? Pure, unabashed irrationality? They can be powerful forces when someone says: Start ranking! So feel free to disagree. Feel free to debate. But dont call us crazy. You know what we really are? Human. Thats all. http://www.officiallionsgear.com/Lions-Tj-Jones-Draft-Jersey/ . 24 Baylor in a Big 12 clash between teams trending in opposite directions. Andrew Wiggins made 10-of-12 from the foul line and scored 17 for Kansas (14-4, 5-0 Big 12), which capped a stretch of four straight games against ranked opponents unscathed. http://www.officiallionsgear.com/Lions-Jarrad-Davis-Draft-Jersey/ . -- Teemu Selanne scored the first goal of his 22nd NHL season, and the Anaheim Ducks extended the best start in franchise history with their fifth straight victory, 3-2 over the Calgary Flames on Wednesday night. http://www.officiallionsgear.com/Lions-Ameer-Abdullah-Draft-Jersey/ . Sgt. Eric ONeal says most of the arrests at Monday nights game were for public drunkenness, though one person was taken into custody on suspicion of trying to steal a seat from the stadium. http://www.officiallionsgear.com/Lions-Marvin-Jones-Jr-Draft-Jersey/ . This should be celebrated because it will not always be this way. With the amount of money given to players by their clubs these days, it is a wonder that so many of those teams allow the sport to continue to take away many of their assets so they can play for a different team in the middle of their season. http://www.officiallionsgear.com/Lions-Da-Shawn-Hand-Draft-Jersey/ .Y. -- Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone has drawn on his Syracuse connections once again by hiring Rob Moore to take over as receivers coach. Houston coach Tom Herman and his defending American Athletic Conference champion Cougars have moved on from one of the best seasons in the history of the program.The words Peach Bowl are banned from the football facility. All the gear and swag the Cougars brought back from Atlanta after beating Florida State is not allowed to be worn at team gatherings.I havent sensed an ounce of complacency, which is good, Herman said.There is a similar feeling throughout the conference as the American tries to build on a season in which the league set itself apart as the strongest outside the Power Five conferences.Temple, Memphis and Navy all spent time in the AP Top 25 and by the end of the season South Florida was playing as well as any of those teams.The AAC notched 10 wins in 2015 against Power Five conference teams, including Mississippi, Miami, Penn State and Louisville. The Cougars 38-24 victory against Florida State was the highlight, a final statement that helped the American recover from what was otherwise a blah bowl season. The conference heads into 2016 with chests puffed with pride.We have forged a powerful Power Six narrative as a nationally relevant and respected conference, Commissioner Mike Aresco said.A true Power Six is not happening anytime soon, but the realistic goal for the American in 2016 is to again lock up the spot in the New Years Six bowls that goes to the highest-ranked Group of Five conference champion.THE FAVORITESEast: USF coach Willie Taggart was heading toward the hot seat before redirecting the Bulls to seven wins in eight games to end the regular season. The Bulls return the talented threesome of quarterback Quinton Flowers, running back Marlon Mack and receiver Rodney Adams and most of the back seven on defense.Temple, retooling what was the best defense in the conference last year, and Cincinnati figure to push the Bulls. UConn is hoping to improve its offense enough to be a dark horse contender.West: Houston is an overwhelming favorite to repeat. Quarterback Greg Ward Jr., who acccounted for 38 touchdowns last season, returns to lead a potent offense.dddddddddddd The defense will rely on a talented front.Contenders Memphis and Navy are both replacing star quarterbacks. Keep an eye on SMU and Tulsa with their second-year coaches and prolific offenses.TOP PLAYERS- Ward could be a legitimate Heisman contender if he can lead the Cougars into playoff contention with big games in the opener against Oklahoma and a late-season meeting versus Louisville.- QB Dane Evans, Tulsa, passed for 4,332 yards in his first season running coach Philip Montgomerys Baylor offense.- RB Marlon Mack, USF, has led the American in rushing the last two seasons.- DT Foley Fatukasi, UConn, eight sacks last season.- QB Matt Davis, SMU, threw for 2,263 yards and 16 touchdowns and led the Mustangs with 761 yards rushing and 10 scores.NEW FACES- Tulane coach Willie Fritz. The Green Wave lured Fritz away from Georgia Southern. Dont expect a typical triple-option in New Orleans. Fritzs offenses when he was at FBS Sam Houston could air it out.- East Carolina coach Scottie Montgomery. The 38-year-old former Duke offensive coordinator brings an all-business approach to the Pirates.- UCF coach Scott Frost. The former Oregon offensive coordinator takes over a team that went winless last season. This rebuild is likely to take a while.- Memphis coach Mike Norvell. The 34-year-old offensive coordinator from Arizona State has a tough act to follow in Justin Fuente.ON THE HOT SEATNone. Another disappointing season for Tommy Tuberville at Cincinnati could generate some heat. In the AAC, its about retaining the rising-stars the way Houston did with Herman and Temple did with Matt Rhule. How much longer can they keep those guys around?PREDICTIONEASTUSFTempleUConnCincinnatiEast CarolinaUCFWESTHoustonNavyTulsaMemphisSMUTulaneConference champion: USF.---Follow Ralph D. Russo at www.Twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP Cheap Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys China Nike NFL Jerseys China Discount NFL Jerseys Wholesale Nike NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Wholesale China NFL Gear Stitched Jerseys Discount Jerseys Cheap NFL T-shirts Cheap Jerseys 2019 Black China NFL Jerseys Discount NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys 2020 ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: panozaapg
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 15367 Themen und 15530 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online: