[/url] [url=http://www.cheapeaglesjerseys.us/]P

in News 26.11.2018 06:03
von dasg234 • 2.926 Beiträge

RIO DE JANEIRO -- When Hans Struzyna began his University of Washington rowing career, he and his freshman teammates were required to learn two things right off the bat. One, the words to the school fight song, Bow Down to Washington. Two, they needed to memorize the names of each member of the 1936 Huskies crew that won the gold medal at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.Don Hume, Joe Rantz, George Hunt, Jim McMillin, John White, Gordon Adam, Chuck Day, Roger Morris and Bobby Moch.It was drilled into us pretty early that this is a really important part of our legacy, Struzyna said. We dont forget where we come from. As an individual rower, youre not necessarily anything special, youre part of the legacy, part of the tradition, part of the timeline, and you have to make that part really exceptional.Struzyna is doing that. He is one of four Washington alumni on the U.S. mens eight crew for the Rio Games, along with Rob Munn, Sam Dommer and coxswain Sam Ojserkis. Former Washington freshman coach Luke McGee is the U.S. mens eight coach.Those four UW alumni arent alone. There are four former Huskies rowing in the various U.S. womens boats, plus another four on the Canadian teams. That makes 12 Washington rowers in Rio.While rowing is often known as an Ivy League sport, the Huskies have won 19 national collegiate mens championships -- the most by any school since 1923 -- and 11 womens titles.More notably, 86 Huskies will have rowed at least once in the Olympics, winning 42 medals, 23 of them gold. Include those from the boycotted 1980 Games, as well as alternates, and the number of UW rowers on a U.S. Olympic team is 100.Furthermore, the famous George Pocock, who designed and built so many top rowing shells, was based in Seattle and was a prime ally with the Washington crew. He was the boatman for the U.S. crew teams in 1936, 1948, 1952 and 1956.Former Washington coaches Al Ulbrickson and Bob Ernst each guided U.S. teams to gold at the Olympics. Ernst coached the U.S. women who won gold in 1984, and Ulbrickson coached UW and U.S. teams to three Olympics, winning gold in the eight man in 1936 and bronze in the coxed four man at the 1952 Games.While other schools have won Olympic medals -- California won three in the mens eight (1928, 1932 and 1948) -- the 1936 UW team is now the most famous due in large part to Daniel James Browns The Boys in the Boat. The book was a nationwide bestseller when it was published in 2013 (and still is in Seattle bookstores), is in the process of becoming a major motion picture and inspired a recent PBS documentary, The Boys of 36.Its interesting because the 36 crew obviously happened a lot of years ago, and the sport has evolved in so many ways since then, Struzyna said. So, at first glance, you think, Thats great, but how does it apply to 2008? Or 2016? But when you dig into it a little bit, thats when you remember those are the roots you came from, and you dont want to forget about it.What Ive been inspired by is the grit and the rawness those guys had. And the ability they had to come up in this sport that was basically ruled by the East Coast, Ivy League and Cal and to have this faith in themselves and one another that they could face these guys and beat them.Germany was expected to win gold in the mens eight at the 1936 Olympics, having won five previous rowing races in those Games. Adolph Hitler was on hand for the six-team final race, watching from the terrace behind Ulbricksons wife. She told documentary maker Lenny ODonnell in the 1980s: I sat 30 feet away from Hitler. Id have shot him if I would have known what he was up to.The Washington mens eight didnt fire a bullet, but they upset Hitler, just as Jesse Owens did against the German sprinters and long jumpers. Despite rowing in a lane where wind resistance was strongest, the UW/U.S. team performed impressively, roaring from behind to beat the Germans, who settled for bronze, and the silver medal-winning Italians.The shell the 1936 team rowed to gold in Berlin also hangs in the Huskies shell house. When Struzyna saw it for the first time, he thought: Are you kidding me? Did they actually row that?It looked like it was about to fall apart. And then it was, Oh, crap. They actually rowed that. he said. Thats where my head went. Then it was, This is really cool. This is part of our history. Not some random piece of history. I will always remember my father taking me to my first Husky football game in 1979, when the 1936 Washington rowers were honored on the field. He pointed to them and told me what they accomplished and how special it was.How will the U.S, rowers fare in Rio? The U.S. women have won gold the past two Olympics, and silver in 2004, with Huskies in all three of those boats. They also had the fastest time during Mondays qualifying heats, so expect more success from them. The men have a good chance to medal as well, and also advanced in Mondays heat with the days fourth fastest time.And if they win gold like their forebears in 1936, perhaps the four Huskies in the boat will celebrate by not only listening to The Star-Spangled Banner during the medal ceremony, but also by singing the Husky fight song.Mighty are the men who wear the purple and the gold. Jordan 13 For Sale Cheap . -- Charline Labonte couldnt have asked for a better homecoming. Jordan 13 China Wholesale . "I wrote 36 on my sheet at the beginning of the game," the Cincinnati coach said, referring the yard line the ball would need to be snapped from. http://www.cheapairjordan13.com/ .ca looks back at the stories and moments that made the year memorable. Jordan 13 Cheap China . The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the Lions have not announced the hiring, which was first reported by ESPN. Lombardi, the grandson of former Green Bay Hall of Fame coach Vince Lombardi, has been an offensive assistant on Sean Paytons New Orleans staff since 2007. Air Jordan Retro 13 For Sale . On Saturday night, the normally free throw-challenged centre did just that. Howard scored 18 of his 25 points in the fourth quarter, including 13 of 19 free throws in a 2 1/2-minute stretch, and the Houston Rockets beat the Denver Nuggets 122-111. Daly Cherry-Evans has put his hand up for Queenslands vacant utility spot for State of Origin III, despite not being at full health.An injury to Maroons supersub Michael Morgan in game two has re-opened the door for Manly star Cherry-Evans to be recalled to the Origin arena for the dead rubber in Sydney on Wednesday week.However Cronulla excitement machine Ben Barba could also be a candidate for coach Kevin Walters, as is the option of adding a fourth bench forward in veteran Nate Myles or the untried Gavin Cooper.But the 27-year-old Cherry-Evans is desperate to get back into the side.Im definitely optimistic and definitely ambitious about getting back in the Origin arena, he said.I dont know whats going to happen in coming weeks but if the spots available still, Id always be willing to put on the Queensland jersey again no doubt.Whether Walters is willing to go back to an underdone Cherry-Evans is another question, after the Manly No.77 admitted he had yet to fully recover from his injury battles this season.dddddddddddd.He was brought in as cover for Cooper Cronk for game one this year, but was released to re-join his club side, only to injure his ankle in a loss to Canberra that weekend.Cherry-Evans, who also missed three games with a separate ankle injury earlier in the season, was sidelined for two more games before making a solid comeback against the Cowboys last week.Im definitely feeling fit when it comes to regarding fitness, he said.(But) unfortunately Im carrying an injury that is not foreign to other players in the competition, nor my teammates.Im going to have to do the best with what Ive got this season and if Monday nights anything to go by, I believe I can compete at a high level and play at a good standard of rugby league. Chiefs Jerseys China Cheap Nike Chargers Jerseys Cheap Nike Raiders Jerseys Wholesale Cowboys Jerseys China Cheap Nike Giants Jerseys Philadelphia Eagles Jerseys For Sale Wholesale Redskins Jerseys China Cheap Nike Lions Jerseys Packers Jerseys China Cheap Vikings Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap Panthers Jerseys Hoodies Cheap Saints Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap Nike Buccaneers Jerseys Cardinals Jerseys China Cheap Rams Jerseys Hoodies Cheap Nike 49ers Jerseys Seahawks Jerseys China Bears Jerseys China Cheap Nike Bills Jerseys Ravens Jerseys China Wholesale Falcons Jerseys China ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: panozaapg
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 15367 Themen und 15530 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online: