NEW YORK -- On a day when dozens of Yankees greats were back on the field in pinstripes, Goose Gossage was overwhelmed to be the

in Green Valley's Ranch 28.12.2018 04:22
von jokergreen0220 • 1.825 Beiträge

NEW YORK -- On a day when dozens of Yankees greats were back on the field in pinstripes, Goose Gossage was overwhelmed to be the centre of attention. Gabe Carimi College Jersey . The Hall of Fame reliever with the blazing fastball and bushy moustache was honoured by the team on Old-Timers Day with a plaque to be put in Monument Park. "This is the greatest day Ive ever had," he told the sellout crowd of 47,493 at Yankee Stadium. Joined on the field by his family and old-timers from Yogi Berra to Bucky Dent, Gossage unveiled his plaque at home plate and grabbed the microphone Sunday to chants of "Goooose" before New York hosted the Baltimore Orioles. "I played for nine different teams, and putting on the pinstripes was like the closest thing to an out-of-body experience Ive ever had," Gossage said. "Outside of the day my kids were born and going into Cooperstown, it doesnt get any better than this. Its awesome," he added later. "Just an amazing day. I cant even put into words what it means." Gossage pitched for the Yankees from 1978-83, helping them to a World Series title during his first season in pinstripes. He returned for 11 games in 1989. Back in his day, closers routinely pitched multiple innings -- and Gossage was no different. He went 42-28 with a 2.14 ERA and 151 saves for the Yankees, leaving him third on the clubs career list behind Mariano Rivera (652) and Dave Righetti (224). "What he did in his era was just incredible," former New York pitcher David Wells said. After spending so much time in the bullpen at the previous Yankee Stadium, just a few steps from Monument Park, Gossage said he never could have imagined having his own plaque out there with all the others. The inscription on his marker begins by calling Gossage "one of the most intimidating pitchers ever to don pinstripes." It becomes the 28th plaque grouped behind the centre-field fence, where seven monuments commemorate such all-time greats as Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle, along with late owner George Steinbrenner. The tribute came one day after the Yankees presented Tino Martinez with a Monument Park plaque in a similar celebration. Gossage tipped his cap to the crowd, and a video montage of his Yankees highlights preceded his speech. Diana Munson, the widow of former batterymate Thurman Munson, gave the pitcher a framed replica of his plaque, and the team presented him with a flashy No. 54 ring outlined in diamonds. "I cant tell you what it means to me and my family," said Gossage, recalling that Old-Timers Day was always his favourite day of the year during his Yankees tenure. "I dont even really know what to say. Its totally overwhelming to me." When the ceremony was over, the old-timers took the field for a four-inning game. Ron Guidry was on the mound, Rickey Henderson led off with a double and Mickey Rivers made a smooth catch in right-centre to rob Martinez of extra bases. Jesse Barfield homered into the left-field corner off David Cone, who trotted from first to third right alongside the ex-slugger. "I always wanted to run the bases," Cone said. "The only way I could do it was to piggyback off Jesse." Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui each made their first appearance at Old-Timers Day, both drawing a big hand. Matsui came in from left field to pitch to Reggie Jackson in a made-for-Hollywood matchup of Godzilla vs. Mr. October. Berra and fellow Hall of Famer Whitey Ford, both in their 80s, waved from a golf cart and received standing ovations. Later on, still wearing his full uniform, Gossage threw out the ceremonial first pitch before the Yankees played the Orioles. Stitched Wisconsin Jerseys . According to a report from the Vancouver Province, the Lions are expected to replace former DC Rich Stubler with defensive backs coach Mark Washington. Melvin Gordon III College Jersey . Louis, MO (SportsNetwork. http://www.cheapwisconsinjerseys.com/ . For the Miami Heat, that was outstanding news. LeBron James scored the last of his 32 points on a layup that put Miami up for good with 11.Montreal, QC (SportsNetwork.com) - Duron Carters 23-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter was the difference, as the Montreal Alouettes clinched a playoff berth with a 17-14 decision over the Toronto Argonauts on Sunday, their sixth consecutive win. Jonathan Crompton finished just 13-of-26 for 251 yards for the Alouettes (9-8), while Carter recorded career highs of 181 yards and 11 receptions, including the winning score. I should have had more. I felt I had played a bad game, but were finally a good team heading into the playoffs, Carter said. It feels like a completely different season from the first half of the schedule. Were on the high road now and we feel great. Tyrell Sutton added 135 yards and a TD on 23 carries for Montreal, which can win the East Division by beating Hamilton in next weeks regular-season finale. Ricky Ray was 26-of-35 for 209 yards for the Argonauts (7-10), while Steve Slaton contributed 55 yards rushing on 13 tries and nine catches for 52 yards in defeat. Toronto needs to beat Ottawa and have Montreal beat Hamilton in order to reach the postseason. Crompton connected with Carter for a 23-yard touchdown and the Alouettes moved ahead by a 117-14 score with just over five minutes left in the contest. Wholesale Wisconsin Jerseys. The Argos chances to come back took a hit with 2:38 to play when Ray exited with a suspected shoulder injury. The turning point in the game was that third quarter. We were only able to manage a field goal when we had the wind at our backs, said Argos coach Scott Milanovich. We had good field position a couple times as well. Swayze Waters 21-yard field goal was the lone score of the opening quarter. Montreal had moved Sean Whyte into range on its initial possession, but he pushed a 45-yard try wide right. Suttons 17-yard scamper early in the second pushed the hosts in front 7-3, then a single and a Mitchell Gale pass to Mike Bradwell from one-yard out gave the Argos an 11-7 edge just before halftime. Waters connected from 25 yards out in the third and the Argos took a seven- point lead. Whyte booted a 45-yard field goal early in the fourth and the Als were within 14-10. Game Notes S.J. Green added 63 yards on a pair of receptions for Montreal ... Trevor Harris subbed for Ray and finished the game 1-of-4 for eight yards ... Torontos Chad Owens posted nine catches for 54 yards. Cheap Throwback Baseball Detroit Tigers Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Colorado Rockies Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Houston Astros Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Kansas City Royals Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Los Angeles Angels Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Los Angeles Dodgers Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Miami Marlins Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Milwaukee Brewers Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Minnesota Twins Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball New York Mets Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball New York Yankees Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Oakland Athletics Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Philadelphia Phillies Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Pittsburgh Pirates Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball San Diego Padres Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball San Francisco Giants Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Seattle Mariners Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball St. Louis Cardinals Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Tampa Bay Rays Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Texas Rangers Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Toronto Blue Jays Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Washington Nationals Jerseys ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: panozaapg
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 15367 Themen und 15530 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online: