6 Olympics also set the stage for the 99 World Cup to happen. At the time, F

in Fragen 16.01.2019 07:34
von t123 • 2.563 Beiträge

Julie Foudy played on the U.S. womens national team for 17 years and won two Olympic gold medals during that time. Her first, in Atlanta in 1996, was especially meaningful, because it was also soccers debut as an Olympic sport.They said womens soccer would never get a World Cup -- or be in the Olympics. But in 1991, we got that World Cup. And in 1993, we found out wed get to be an Olympic sport. We were so pumped. My teammates and I had been fighting for it, so we were very excited get womens soccer in the Olympics -- and to have it in our home country.The crowd went absolutely berserk when the U.S. athletes walked in during the opening ceremony. We were the last country because we were the host nation. Youre waiting forever and waiting forever and then you finally get to go. We were rocking really cute red blazers and little white hats with red trim. (I still have the blazer.)I think Bruce Willis and Demi Moore were the first people we saw on the sideline and we high-fived. I was like, How cool is that? Theyre with their kids, high-fiving people. I dont think I realized how special it was to be in your own country at the time because it was our first Olympics.In the semifinal against Norway, we wanted to show the United States how cool our team was. The crowd was huge -- 64,000 fans -- and this was a period when we were still fighting to get recognition and support, so this was our chance to showcase this group.We had lost to Norway in the World Cup the year before and had to watch the Norwegians do this whole slow centipede victory march after they won, and that was still on our minds. How dare they do that? So we get a chance to get them again -- which we were ecstatic about -- and this time around we knew we werent going to fall to them.At halftime we were down a goal and I remember walking into the locker room and feeling like, Were fine. It was just a totally different atmosphere from the year before. This time, in the end, we got to finish them off.It can get super emotional when youre playing at home. The challenge was not being too pumped because you get so excited and so over-hyped. You dont want to be on this roller coaster of emotions, similar to a sugar high where you come crashing back down.The stadium was packed with more than 76,000 fans for the final against China and we had never really had that before, so you can imagine the excitement. It was always the challenge of appreciating the moment and soaking it in, which we were good at, but not letting that moment drain your energy. We actually talked about it a lot.We knew China was very good. The players were skillful, fit and well-trained, but we also knew this: We could be stronger than them mentally.I might have missed the dog pile. Shannon MacMillan scored the first goal -- and it was key to get in there and get a goal early to calm the nerves. After she scored, I just remember Mac sliding headfirst into the turf and all of us sliding in behind her. I think I ended up a little short of the celebration. Maybe I thought the grass was a little wetter than it was.When we won, we were up there on the podium, belting the national anthem at the top of our lungs. I remember thinking, does it get any better than this? Youre with your best buddies who youve worked so hard with, and to win the first-ever womens soccer gold in your home country, it was insane. It was surreal.We knew right away that people were mad. Only highlights of the final were aired on NBC -- not the whole game. Here you have a packed stadium with chanting Americans and I remember thinking, Wow, that tells you something. Theyre pretty set in how they cover sports and there will be a paradigm shift after this.At the 2000 Olympics, NBC Sports President Dick Ebersol pulled us all in and apologized for not covering us more in 96. He said, We missed out on that one and I take the blame.There was really a feeling that this could be a pivotal moment for women in sports in this country. All of these women in Atlanta -- some we knew, some we didnt -- we all had similar struggles in terms of acceptance and popularity and Title IX. Here we were collectively so successful, which isnt surprising given that many of us had been given the opportunity to play thanks to Title IX. After having to fight for so much, we thought maybe this was the breakthrough that was needed to get people watching and paying attention.On off days at the Olympics we had to be off our feet, so we would lie down and watch all the other sports on TV. We would watch and cheer the other women on all day. That was super fun. I was ecstatic for softball, for basketball, for the gymnasts, knowing that we all had worked so damn hard to get there.The 1996 Olympics also set the stage for the 99 World Cup to happen. At the time, FIFA did not want a big 99 World Cup. They wanted to keep it regional in smaller stadiums in the East. And U.S. Soccer said, No, we want to go big.That 1996 Olympic team somehow had the confidence to keep saying, We can do better. We can do more. We can do bigger. We should set the standard. Thats what I loved about that group.There was always a shared belief that this could be a tipping point for sport and women. And we helped tip it. Salomon Pas Cher Chine . -- Al Jefferson found a groove just in time for the Charlotte Bobcats. Soldes Chaussures Salomon Pas Cher . -- Bobby Ryan helped the U. http://www.paschersalomon.fr/ . The parade and rally were held to celebrate the Saskatchewan Roughriders 45-23 win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Sunday in the CFLs championship game. Vente Salomon Pas Cher . - Levi Browns tenure at left tackle for the Pittsburgh Steelers is over before it even began. Chaussure Salomon Pas Cher . The third-ranked Ivanovic, who won the event in 2008 and 10, served five aces and broke Wickmayer, also a former winner in 2009, five times. "The result looked easier than it really was," Ivanovic said. OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens linebacker Elvis Dumervil said Wednesday that he will not play in the season opener against the Buffalo Bills.Dumervil acknowledged he had a minor setback in his recovery from an offseason procedure in the foot area. He was the only Ravens starter who was not practicing Wednesday.Albert McClellan is expected to replace Dumervil and start in his first game since 2012. ZaDarius Smith and Matt Judon will fill in for Dumervil as the other edge rusher opposite Terrell Suggs.Its a little disappointing, Dumervil said, but sometimes youve just got to wait your turn and when the opportunity presents itself, take full advantage.Dumervil, 32, said he had a procedure in the foot area this offseason and missed all of the spring workouts along with the first three weeks of training camp. He was activated off the physically unable to perform list on Aug. 22 and practiced for a week.But Dumervil hasnt practiced since Aug. 29 and was one of three Ravens players who didnt practice Wednesday. Running back Kenneth Dixon (kneee) and cornerback Jerraud Powers (ankle) were the others.ddddddddddddDumervil is unsure about his status for the Week 2 game at the Cleveland Browns.I dont want to start shooting out numbers and weeks, Dumervil said. Well just see. Were working really hard, and the training staff is working really hard with me. Just doing my very best to get out there as soon as I can. So I dont know when the time can be. It can be next week or the following week. I dont know.Since 2006, Dumervil ranks second among active players with 96 sacks. His 31 multiple-sack games leads all players in the past 10 seasons. Dumervil has been one of the most durable defenders in the NFL since joining the Ravens in 2013. Hes only missed one game and has played in 35 straight games.Its one of those things where your body kind of tells you when its ready, Dumervil said. So were all pushing. We wanted it to be Week 1, but unfortunately, it wasnt. China NFL Jerseys Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys NFL Jerseys Cheap Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap Basketball Jerseys Online Stitched Hockey Jerseys Wholesale Baseball Jerseys Football Jerseys Outlet College Jerseys For Sale Cheap MLB Jerseys Wholesale Soccer Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys For Sale Wholesale NFL Jerseys ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: panozaapg
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 15367 Themen und 15530 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online: